If you’ve read my latest blog post on red meat, you’re hopefully feeling reassured that including some red meat in your diet is actually OK, and not something you need to cut out for health reasons.
On that note, here’s a recipe for you to try. The lamb chops in this recipe are topped with a tasty spiced butter and teamed with roasted cauliflower and quinoa, which is a winning combo. I like to double the cauli (roasting could change your opinion on this brassica forever!) and add some steamed or stir fried greens on the side.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Makes two servings
- 4 lean lamb chops or French trimmed cutlets
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- For the Spiced Butter:
- 50g/2oz butter, softened
- 5ml/ 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 5ml / 1tsp ground coriander
- Small handful freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley or mint
- For the Salad:
- 175g/6oz cauliflower, cut into small florets or pieces
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 30ml/2tbsp olive oil
- 100g/4oz quinoa, rinsed in cold water
- 600ml/1 pint good, hot vegetable stock
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley or mint
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 15ml/1tbsp red wine or sherry vinegar
- 15ml/1tbsp runny honey
- To prepare the spiced butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together. Form the butter into a sausage shape, wrap in cling film or foil and set aside in a cool place.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 7, 220°C, 425°F. Put the cauliflower, the lemon zest and oil in large non-stick roasting tray, season, toss gently and roast for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Cook the quinoa in the stock for 12-15 minutes. Drain in a sieve and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the chops on a chopping board and season with salt and pepper. Cook under a preheated moderate grill for 12-16 minutes, turning once.
- Transfer the chops to a warm plate and top with a disc of the flavoured butter.
- Put the roasted cauliflower in a bowl with the quinoa, add the remaining salad ingredients, toss gently and serve with the chops