This recipe calls for a hand mixer, but I actually made it in a nutribullet and it worked perfectly and the whole thing was mixed and ready in under 5 minutes!
If you haven’t got either, some elbow grease, a large bowl and a whisk should work fine.
- 130 millilitres regular olive oil (plus more for greasing)
- 50 grams good-quality cocoa powder – I used a Green and Blacks
- 125 millilitres boiling water
- 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla extract
- zest of one orange
- 100 grams ground almonds
- 50 grams ground hazelnuts (also ground in the Nutribullet – you can do 150 grams of ground almonds if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100 grams caster sugar or honey
- 50 grams Sweet Freedom chocolate orange shot (or increase the sugar / honey by 50g)
- 3 free range eggs
- Preheat your oven to 170°C/gas mark 3/325ºF. Grease an 8 inch springform tin with a little oil and cut a circle of greaseproof to line the bottom of the tin.
- Measure out the cocoa powder and place in a bowl. Pour in the boiling water and whisk together until you have a smooth liquid. Whisk in the vanilla extract, then set aside.
- Put the sugar, sweet freedom olive oil and eggs into a mixer or a large nutribullet cup and whisk or blend together until you have a smooth thickened cream – should take a few minutes in a mixer, or a minute in the nutribullet. Add the cocoa mix and blend again briefly until all of the mix in combined.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ground almonds, hazelnuts, salt, orange zest and baking powder with a wooden spoon. Gradually pour in the chocolate mix and stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for around 40 minutes or until the sides are set – the top will look a little bit wet still.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan. Cool completely and decorate with fruits, or serve warm – it’s great with Greek yoghurt.